Thursday 11 April 2013

Kitchen Sink Facelift

    Since I purchased my first home last year, my DIY skills have improved drastically. Some things are pretty low on the skill level, like painting a room or changing the furnace filter. Other things require a little research, such as staining and sealing the concrete floor in the garage, or properly installing wallpaper (a skill I have yet to master, it's tricky). Between having a contractor for a father and an inherited fascination with all things "construction", I usually jump head first into tackling a home project. Most times I am rewarded handsomely for my efforts but sometimes I realize far too late in the game that I'm in way over my head.
    Today, I replaced my kitchen faucet. And I did it all by myself! Well, me and a stack of plumbing books taller my dog and a few additions to my trusty toolbox. Frankly, replacing a faucet is pretty straight forward if the pipes and parts don't need to be soldered. Just make sure you follow proper protocol and have the right tools at hand. It's also important to be prepared for the worst anytime you start a home renovation of any size. DIY projects have a way of snowballing out of control very quickly. When you're prepared for setbacks, if the project goes smoothly it will be a nice surprise. And a little common sense goes a long way. Don't try to replace the faucet the day before you're entertaining dinner guests, or when you're overwhelmed at work, or when you're too burned out to complete the project properly and safely.
    This project was brought about by the simple realization that the original fixture was ugly as sin. It was not broken or malfunctioning- but for a small financial investment my kitchen sink got a facelift and I added another skill to my homeowner experience. Nothing cheers me up faster than improving the place where I live. Now I want to keep going...next I think I'm going to tile the backsplash in the kitchen! Stay tuned!!!



1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Kudos! I would be a little intimidated to replace a kitchen faucet but you did great!!

    ReplyDelete